I baked banana bread. This is the only way my hubby will take his daily dose of potassium….just kidding!
I try to eat clean and stay healthy as much as I can. But, I married a person who has a sweet tooth, so I try to bake at home rather than buy sweets from a store; that way, I’ll know what’s going into the sweets. Putting in a little extra effort can be beneficial for our overall health….and for my waistline too. I actually enjoy baking easy bread like banana bread. Plus, it makes my kitchen smell so good.
There are so many banana bread recipes, but this is my healthier version of banana bread. I always use raw or wild honey instead of refined sugar because I haven’t found a perfect substitute for sugar yet. I also try to buy pasture raised eggs and good oils. In fact, I was thinking about using avocado oil which has a high heating point, but it’s pretty pricey, so I used canola oil instead. Also, I used coconut milk instead of regular milk. I’m pretty satisfied with the result – very moist and yummy. I think the honey was one of the elements that made the bread so moist, but I don’t know if I want to use honey for all of my baking. Let me know if there is any good sugar substitute for baking.
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 medium size ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup wild honey
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly coat a 4×8-inch loaf pan with nonstick canola oil spray.
- Combine all-purpose flour with baking soda, pink salt, ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Mash the ripe banana.
- Mix canola oil and honey in a large mixing bowl, and add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour mixture and stir just to combine.
- Add chopped walnuts and mix just until flour disappears.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.
- Slice and serve.
Note : Quick bread tastes much better the next day.