Cheesy pesto grilled cheese sandwiches. Any one?
Sandwiches that are made with gooey melted cheese and crispy buttery bread slices are the best lunch ideas for summer days…I think. Fresh ripe tomatoes, sweet cheddar cheese, and flavorful pesto sauce…I adore all things in this sandwich. You can bet I can make it again before the summer goes away.
But wait! Where did my spring go?
A few years ago, I got a lesson in how to make basil pesto sauce from my neighbor who was an Italian and I still make the pesto sauce the same way because I see the difference. Although it’s time consuming and quite a work since you have to do everything by hands, it is totally worth it. Plus, you will get some muscle too. Haha~
For the instructions, please watch my cooking video below. Sometimes, just watching it once is easier to understand than talking about it for one hundred times. Agree?
PESTO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 2 cups grated sweet cheddar cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- Salt and pepper
- Spread butter on one side of the bread.
- With butter side down, spread pesto sauce and top with cheddar cheese, sliced tomato and more cheese.
- Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place the sandwich on the pan, cover the lid, and cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium low heat or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Turn it over and press down with a spatula, cover the lid, cook the other side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.