Forget about bottled ketchup and BBQ sauce. It can be made easily at home and it’s healthier too. Most bottled of ketchup consist of large amounts of sugar and corn syrup, sometimes include MSG. Also, store brand BBQ sauces have a lot of chemicals, preservatives, texture and flavor enhancers, and high fructose corn syrup which is the worst thing to eat.
With a little effort, you can make your own recipes with high-quality ingredients that taste far better than store brand condiments. Depending on the style you like, you can make adjustments as you make.
The BBQ sauce that I created doesn’t even need to be cooked. Just mix all the ingredients and ohh-la-la! It’s ready!
EASY BBQ CHICKEN with HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/4-1/3 cup raw honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of all spice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- Pink salt and pepper to taste
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup homemade ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flake
- 7 chicken drumsticks
- Homemade BBQ Sauce (see above)
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients from the ketchup ingredient list and whisk until smooth.
- Combine ketchup with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and onion flakes and blend until smooth.
- In a Ziploc bag, combine drumsticks with 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and marinate for at least 30 minutes or preferably over night.
- Wash chicken legs, pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375F and place the chicken legs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip chicken, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Brush chicken with sauce, slide back into the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve chicken warm with extra barbecue sauce on the side.